Mission San José del Cabo
The Jesuit Nicolas Tamaral established the Mission of San Jose del Cabo at the Pericú settlement of Añuití in 1730. But in the summer of 1734 Tamaral, who the Pericu shamans felt was overly impinging upon their long-standing luxury of having several wives, was martyred in cruel fashion and the mission was destroyed. Today the mosaic above the façade depicts the fateful day. The mission was finally closed in 1840.
Set directly on the wonderful town square the Mission of San Jose del Cabo Anuití is not only an important historic place, but also a place where the community still celebrates its faith and fullness of life with passion indicative of its colorful history.